Why Are Pre And Post Workout Supplements Important?
Working out and still not losing weight? Or recovery process is slow? Then there is something wrong with the pattern.
I had many people coming and telling me that they have been working out for more than a year now, but it doesn’t seem to be effective. I wondered what could be the reason and concluded that most of the people coming to me with no effects are the ones who are not taking care of pre and post workout supplements or foods.
How Does Pre And Post Workout Supplements Work?
In India, people focus on 3 major meals, that is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then the 6-meal plan came into picture where 2 snacks i.e. mid-morning and evening snacks were included to fill in the gap. But most of the people who go for their workout tend to skip the most important meals, which is the pre and post-workout supplements. For me, it is as important as having my breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Now, when I say workout, I don’t mean those heavy gym workout only. Workout can include walking or jogging as well.
People working out in the gym are often advised to start taking supplements the moment they hit the gym. That’s okay to some extent.
But is it enough?
When : – Pre and post workout
- Carbohydrates are responsible for refueling the muscles by getting stored in the body in the form of glycogen. When the levels of glycogen reduce in the body, we feel fatigued.
- During workout sessions, stored glycogen is used up by the body to give energy.
- If carbohydrates are not taken before workout, the stored glycogen will be completely used up and it will have no backup energy left for the body, which ultimately leads to workout energy.
- Here, when I talk about carbohydrates, I am not asking you to hog chapattis or a bowl of rice. The carbohydrates taken before workout must be simple carbohydrates, like fruits or fruit juices. Special sports drink can help in such cases.
- If the workout comprises of high intensity workout for an hour, then one must take up around 4.2 grams of carbohydrates per kg workout.
- 2 grams is the average carbohydrate which one can take however it is different from workout to work out and person to person.
- It is always better to consult your health coach before selecting the pre-workout carbohydrates quantity.
Proteins (Amino acid blend)
When: – Pre and post workout (pre-workout could be optional, but it is a must post workout)
- Here, when I talk about proteins, I am talking about BCAA blend.
- BCAA stands for branched chain amino acids.
- This BCAA blend specifically contains 3 main amino acids which are leucine, isoleucine and valine.
- I focus on only these 3 amino acids as they are responsible for digestion, repairing of body tissues and performing the main functions of proteins, that is growth and body building.
- For people who are looking forward to build muscles, BCAA blend becomes very essential for them.
- For others, proteins post-workout helps in repairing the muscles and tissues which have worn off during an intense workout.
- Milk is a very good option for post workout foods.
- Foods like meat and eggs have BCAA in them, which becomes an ideal post workout foods.
When: – Pre-workout
- If you don’t want tiring workout sessions, then it is preferable to take caffeine supplement pre-workout.
- Researches have shown that caffeine helps in improving the endurance during the workout sessions.
- When it comes to caffeine supplement, dosage is very important, because overdose of caffeine can make you nauseous and nervous.
- 2 g in Luke warm water is the most optimal dosage.
- If you are suffering from caffeine sensitivity, then you can avoid taking this as you might get dizzy.
When: – Post workout
- Whey protein concentrate and isolate. They are best post workout supplement because whey helps in quick boost in the muscle recovery, and it also helps in quick muscle growth.
- Whey hydrolysate and casein helps in increasing the absorption of amino acids in the body, making it an excellent post workout supplement
When: – Pre and post workout
- Vitamin C supplement is usually taken to deal with common cold and cough. But that’s not all.
- Vitamin C helps in dealing with the stress, which could be a strenuous workout as well.
- It is an antioxidant which helps in dealing with the metabolic stress.
- It also helps in strengthening the immune system during a strenuous workout.
Now that you know how important are pre and post workout supplements in your diet, you can finally lose weight and have a fit as well as healthy body.